LFK Field Work Award
[Recipients of LFK Field Work Award]       [Download the application form]
Professor Li Fang-Kuei spent much of his life investigating languages that are near extinction or that are related to the study of the Chinese language. Following his footsteps and broadening the scope of investigation, we have established a ‘Field Work Award’ for the investigation of Sinitic and non-Sinitic languages and dialects that relate to the study of the Chinese language. One or two awards may be granted per year depending on the quality of the application.
To encourage scholars and advanced graduate students to carry out field investigations on (a) a Sinitic language or dialect; or (b) a non-Sinitic language or dialect that bears some relationship to the study of the Chinese language.
The target language or dialect to be investigated, or certain aspect(s) of the target language or dialect, should not have been extensively studied before. Investigation of unknown and endangered varieties is particularly encouraged.
- The tenure of the Award is for 1.5 to 2 months of investigation in the field or actual location where the target language or dialect is spoken;
- The recipient of the Award, within 1 month of completion of the investigation, must submit a report with receipts for all expenses;
- The recipient of the Award, within 12 months of completion of the investigation, must produce an article on the investigation to be submitted to the Bulletin of Chinese Linguistics for consideration of publication.
- Qualification of the applicant:
- The applicant must belong to a recognized academic institution;
- If the applicant is a graduate student, s/he must work under the supervision of a senior scholar.
- Application procedure:
- Application form to be downloaded
from the LFKS website under ‘Field Award application’;
- Application must be submitted in an electronic format and sent in PDF
format to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Application must be accompanied by a detailed budget and 2 letters of recommendation;
- The letters of recommendation must be sent by the referees directly to email@example.com;
- The budget must list all items of anticipated expenses relevant to the field
investigation, such as transportation fees, food and lodging expenses for 1.5 to 2 months, compensation for the native speaker(s), supplies for field recording, etc. A tape-recorder is not included as applicable expense.
- Award amount:
U.S. $2,000 to $2,500 per award depending on the length and quality of the proposed field investigation to be paid in 2 installments: a field advance to cover legitimate expenses for 1.5 to 2 months as described in (4e) and a final award payment upon receipt of an article as specified in (2c).
- Application Deadline:
The application deadline is June 30 of each year.
- Selection Committee：
The Selection Committee will consist of 3 members, a chair, an expert on Sinitic languages and dialects and an expert on non-Sinitic languages. These may be LFKS Board members or officers or outside scholars. The Selection Committee members will appoint outside reviewers, 2 for each application, in accordance with the type of language or dialect described in the applications. Final decision will be presented by the Selection Committee based on outside reviews to the LFKS Board of Directors for final approval.
- Announcement of Award
Announcement of the Award competition result will be made on the Li Fang-Kuei Society web site and the Bulletin of Chinese Linguistics
at the end of the year.